When the skin was done I started to paint the "rockgrow" (those rocks trolls grow on their back and chin that make 'em look so distinguishable) with a basecoat of pure Khador Red Highlight (P3). I painted these in two steps of thin layers.
Next I gave it a very thin wash, containing of Wazzdakka Red (Citadel), Flash Gitz Yellow (Citadel), and Ember Orange (P3) mixed with some water and Mixing Medium (Vallejo) into the Khador Red Highlight, in a ratio of 2:1:1:1:1.
When this wash dried, I added additional Flash Gitz Yellow and started to highlight the edges of the rock.
With an additional layer of paint, consisting of even more Flash Gitz Yellow, and gave the rock edges more brightness.
I added some Ivory (Vallejo) into the last mix I used and painted addtional highlights, only on the lines where the rock edges connect.
I thinned some Lamenters Yellow (Citadel) with a drop of Mixing Medium, ratio of 2:1, and gave every rock a very thin layer of this glaze (I dipped my brush into that wash and put most of the paint soak into a paper towel before I applied).
When the last glaze has dried, I added even more Ivory into the last mix and highlighted every top rock edge with very short lines. Now Dozer's rockgrow seemst to be very fiery, giving that a nice cold-warm contrast between rockgrow and skin. Basically every good paint job is about contrasts.
When Dozer got finished, t'was time to get the little fella on his back done. For Smigg's skin I mixed a basecoat containing of Kantor Blue (Citadel) and Thunderhawk Blue (Citadel), in a ratio of 1:3.
I added some Underbelly Blue (P3), in a ratio of 1:1, and highlighted Smigg's skin.
For the last highlight I liberally added Pallid Wych Flesh (Citadel), in a ratio of 1:1, and highlighted the top spots of Smigg's body.
Since Smigg is kin he of course has some slight rockgrow too. I mixed some Mephiston Red (Citadel) with a little drop of Matt Black (Warpaints), in a ratio of 3:1, and carefully painted every rockgrow.
I highlighted every rockgrow and added some Evil Sunz Scarlet (Citadel) to the prior mix, in a ratio of 1:1. In this highlight I chose an certain angle, looking down on Smigg, and highlighted evey section that was visible to me in that angle.
I added Khador Red Highlight to the mix and gave another highlight.
Finally I painted some Bloodletter (Citadel) on every rockgrow. Here again I let a paper towel soak some paint after I dipped my brush into it and before applying it onto the model.
As the final step in this article I show how I painted all those leather straps on Dozer. I made a smooth dull mix of a non-descript brown, containing Dark Flesh (Citadel), Skavenblight Dinge (Citadel), Beast Hide (P3), Dark Sea Blue (Vallejo), and some drops of Mixing Medium, in a ratio of 1:2:1:0.5:1.
When every strap got a basecoat, I highlighted those parts with a mix in which I vigorously added Beast Hide, in a ratio of 1:1.
The final step on the straps was a wash, making the straps looking more reddish-brown and also giving it more depths. I added Dark Flesh and Mixing Medium to the prior mix, in a ratio of 3:3:1, and as always I let a paper towel soak some paint before I applied that wash on the model. That step with the paint soaking paper towel is important to prevent paint pool on the model and thereby leaving ugly spots, streaks, or even a hugh amount of pooling paint that drops on already painted areas (oh, how many times has this happen in the past....).
Certainly, Dozer never would pay a single buck for a sound Manhattan manicure, so his finger nails (and those on the toes, too) are somewhat yellow, broken, and certainly nothing pleasing the eye. I gave that a basecoat of Averland Sunset (Citadel), Screaming Skull (Citadel), and Skragg Brown (Citadel, in a ratio of 1:3:1.
For the highlight I added more Skreaming Skull, in a ratio of 1:1, and painted thick lines on the nail, to indicate several layers of callus.
The highlight lines were painted from the middle to the nail point, whereas the last wash, was painted close to the nailbed. I made a glaze of Dark Flesh, Khador Red Highlight, and Mixing Medium, in a ratio of 1:1:4, and, again let a paper towel soak lots of paint before applying, painted several thin layers on the nailbed.
That's it. Basically. Several other details I didn't cover, but that's intended and okay. Painting the shells, umpteen bags, uncountable buckles, cleaning spots, cleaning interconnected parts, and so on. That is tiresome and not very helpful, for it is no part of a general tutorial to paint that model, but only occasional cleaning of that very model of mine.
So here are some group shots of the final model, together with his buddies Jarl, the Bomber, and some whelps. The colours don't come as good as IRL and the light created some heavy shadows, but that's how you cope with some mobile phone camera. I hope I can get an acquintance with his super awesome camere to get me some nice pictures of my Trollbloods, soon. But he rarely shows up at the LGS lately...